Growing up, Saturday mornings around my house was "cleaning day." I would wake up to the good old smell of eggs and bacon on the stove and Pine Sol marinating in the toilets. What none of us knew back then was that the smell that said, "clean" was actually harming us.
Now it would be fine if this was just a nostalgic trip down memory lane. But unfortunately, the same was true just last week. Almost forty years have passed between then and now, but it was not until a few days ago that I learned of the danger I have been putting my family in.
It's hard to believe that cleaning your house and cooking breakfast is just as dangerous as bungee jumping off of a short bridge. We take a risk every time we clean our homes with harmful chemicals. It almost seems criminal, but I guess that's why the warning is on the label.
I know that there is no way our parents would have used the bleach, ammonia, and turpentine most of us grew up on if they had known the real damage they were doing to both us and them. But we now have the information and the ability to stop the vicious cycle. Our children will be able to teach their children how to safely clean.
I'm truly grateful that I will now be able to start a new Saturday morning ritual that I can feel good about. With so many things out of our control, it's refreshing to know that there's a better option, and that option is going "Green."
Find Professional Certified Green Cleaning Services Here