Home | Join | Find Service | Courses | Log-In | Help
IJCSA Updates & Industry News
The study found that those who lived in households where disinfectants were used weekly had a higher risk of being overweight by age 3 than those who lived in houses where eco-friendly substances were used. (iStock)
Everyday household cleaning products may be producing unintended consequences for children. According to a study, disinfectants have the ability to change gut bacteria, potentially leading to higher body mass index (BMI).
The study, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, found that those who lived in households where disinfectants were used weekly had a higher risk of being overweight by age 3 than those who lived in houses where eco-friendly substances were used.
More at source: Fox News
Find A Healthy Green Cleaning Service Here
Discuss This Article Here
During the research, a control group of 787 women from Massachusetts who have been diagnosed with breast cancer were compared to healthy (non-cancer diagnosed) 721 women of the same or similar age who have lived in or around the same area. All participants were questioned about their family health history, living habits such as eating, smoking, alcohol use, exercise, etc. They were also asked about their use of pesticides and cleaning products.
The results from the study show that the top 25% of women who reported highest use of cleaning products were at least 2 times more likely to develop breast cancer than those who reported the lowest use. The participants who indicated that they use air fresheners and mould and mildew removers often had 70% increased chance of cancer. These statistics sound really scary, but there is a spinner.
More at source: News Anyway
Find A Green Cleaning Service Here
Janitors who have survived rape and sexual harassment in the workplace on Monday launched a 100-mile walk from San Francisco to Sacramento to urge Gov. Jerry Brown to support legislation to boost sexual harassment and violent training and prevention measures.
Assembly Bill 2079, introduced by Assembly Member Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher, includes provisions for peer training and counseling, which supporters say is essential for helping immigrant women and women in hidden professions like janitorial work learn their rights from someone they trust.
The walk, which began at the Golden Gate Bridge this morning and paused for a noon rally at San Francisco’s City Hall, began the same day as a billboard campaign in the Bay Area urging Brown to sign the legislation.
More at source: SF Examiner
Find A Janitorial Service Here
If nothing else, you should be wearing gloves to protect yourself against bacteria while cleaning.
Think about the places you clean regularly -- the bathroom sink, the toilet, the kitchen sink. All three are places that are just teeming with bacteria. Oh and that sponge you use to clean the dishes? It's one of the most germ ridden thing in your home.
Clean those places with bare hands and you run the risk of directly infecting yourself with nasty pathogens.
More at source: CNET
Discuss This Article
Find A Cleaning Service Here
Learn About Green Cleaning Here
GREENWOOD, N.S. - The union representing Canada’s federal public sector employees is worried that a plan to privatize cleaning services at two air force bases signals a concerning trend.
Colleen Coffey, Atlantic Canada executive vice-president with PSAC, says seven term-contract, unionized cleaners at 14 Wing Greenwood were recently notified that as of Sept. 30 their jobs would be terminated before their term positions could have rolled into full-time jobs.
Instead, the government plans to contract out their jobs to a private company. The remaining 25 full-time cleaners will not be laid off but will have their positions replaced by contractors when they retire or leave the base. At Ontario’s CFB Kingston, there will be no immediate layoffs but the 186 unionized cleaners there will also eventually be replaced by contractors.
More at source: Kingston County News Canada
The man worked for Bee-Clean Building Maintenance, which provides janitorial service across the country.
“We are deeply saddened by what happened and our thoughts, prayers and support, are with the deceased worker’s family at this difficult time. We are working closely with the regulatory authorities to determine the cause of what appears at this time, to be a tragic accident,” Rob Scott, executive vice president of Bee-Clean Building Maintenance, said in a statement.
“We are also supporting all our team members within our Bee-Clean family, and we have provided grief counselling to all our team, as well as engaged in open dialogue to help us all come to terms with this loss.”
It’s not known how the man died. OHS said it is continuing to investigate, so no further details were provided.
More at source: CISN
The five companies, who’ve banded together as the Business Partners Alliance, want the court to block Aramark and another company, the Atlanta-based Carter Brothers, from terminating their old operating contract and seeking proposals from competitors. They filed the litigation Friday.
More at source: Advocate
When you lather up your locks in the shower, or blast the mucky kitchen bench with antibacterial spray, the chemicals in those common household products eventually make their way down the drain and into the environment.
Pretty much everything washed down household drains in Australia goes to a wastewater treatment plant where most particles and chemicals are removed or diluted, and then the water is discharged into our waterways.
However, these days the treatment processes are insufficient to deal with the influx of chemical cocktails, especially the chemicals that last for a very long time, according to chemical engineer Peter Scales from the University of Melbourne.
Some of the chemicals in everyday products that can hurt the environment include plasticisers, surfactants, antibacterial agents, endocrine-disrupting chemicals, phosphates and fragrances.
More at source: ABC
© Copyright 2004-2018 International Janitorial Cleaning Services Association "The Home Of Professional Cleaning Companies"