Mold becomes a health hazard when inhaled and can cause numerous health issues such as The growth of mold has the potential to produce mycotoxins. The amount and types of mycotoxins depend heavily on environmental and genetic factors. Though the EPA has no regulatory guidelines on mold or airborne mold spores, over 200 different types of mycotoxins have been identified. Identifying mycotoxin producing mold is not possible to tallergies, hay fever like symptoms, rashes or irritants to the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs.
Mold can also potentially produce microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs). These compounds produce the moldy smell often found in some buildings. Though the effects of inhaling mVOCs are unknown, they have been linked to headaches, dizziness, vomiting and fatigue.
The use of biocides such as bleach may kill mold, but as dead mold is an allergenic, reactions may occur necessitating in the removal of the mold as well.
Even though mold is part of our environment, the effects of mold can be hazardous. Though there is much to be learned as research in this field is ongoing, IJCSA has numerous members who are well informed of the effects of mold on one’s health and how to remove mold from homes and offices.
IJCSA members are well versed in the tools and processes used to remediate mold. Tools such as a wet vac to remove standing water, a moisture meter to locate potential mold growth, a hepavac or high efficiency particulate air vaccum to remove mold spores from the air, as well as other personal protective equipment designed to keep mold from the skin and lungs which protect remediators in the field.
Flood water damage carries its own hazards such as damage to structural integrity and requires a different skill set. IJCSA has a flood damage directory which will help to guide you to the proper professionals.